Saturday, December 22, 2007

Siblings and simple minds...

I attended a family party tonight. My older TBM brother was there. He didn't approach and ask about my kids, life, or work. Instead he confronted me with a list of "democratic" convention notes. It was a parody, but frankly it was completly bunk... except for the making fun of Kennedy's drinking issues... But that is another story. But his blatant bigotry made me wince. I am not a democrat. IN fact, I am a registered "Independent." That he refused to hold the republican "Mess" to the same standard is damned hard to stomach. "Selective Observation" is repugnant to any honest intellectual inquiry. But his belief system (LDS) has done nothing but condition him to do just that. THAT is the harm in religion. It teaches one to accept some things without honest skepticism. That looking at the world through non-tinted glasses is wrong and evil. I hate that my LDS family members loath themselves to the degree that that they do.

In the end, I don't hate religion. I hate its effect on honest, decent human beings.

HH