Sunday, December 30, 2007

EXMO EXPO 2007

Well... the first annual "Exmo-Expo" took place today. I must say that another 5 hours could have, probably, taken care of all the verbalizing necessary to cover all possible topics which were touched upon.

SE was delightful. She was insightful, articulate, and observant. She listened to that rantings of HH, and and that "radical" anarchist with aplomb, and clarity.

CounterIntuitive was delightful in his questions regarding coping. and restraint of the atheistic compunction to condescend to those who continue the belief-system of religiosity. Further, his declaration of tolerance, and decency were noble and moral (not scientifically moral since there is no such thing... Wink wink... nudge nudge). I was just as awed by CI in person as I was by his writings.

Shane was just his normal self (a pain-in-the-ass, whom, attempted to find the similarities between religion and science {even though he doesn't understand what science is} *wink and nudge*). Yet, that is a topic that I will address in some depth at some point in the future (not Near future). Poor... poor...Shane (insert snicker here.. sounds like "mwa ha ha ha ha"). His desire to overthrow the current system of government through violence, or non-violence, is a bit vague. *wink and nod here*

We all missed Rod here, though. We all thought that He, and Darci were leaving earlier than reality dictated. If we had known, we would have offered him a ride to the festivities.
Rod, my man, you are definitely a part of EXMO-EXPO 2008. It will occur some time between x-mas '08 and New Year '09. We need you. Sorry that we didn't invite you (Thor knows we wish we had known that you would be around). I blame the anarchist here (another wink and nudge).

HH is thinking that a Summer get-together might be as fun. HH has been wrong before, but, only about which species of tree to plant in the ungodly crappy soil of Wellsville, Utah (unfertile clay crap). Don't miss Wellsville much (kind of goes without saying). Mrs. HH might be fun to include (even though BLOGGING is years away from her non-technocratic abilities). What think ye all?

Let's get more people going too. The idea of 10-plus smart people exchanging ideas for 5+ hours is just (as of now) too reinforcing to ponder. It really was a great experience to talk with others who could articulate their thoughts/ideas with such clarity and honesty.

Is it any wonder I have looked so "forward" to Shane's visits? It has been like swimming for months and coming up for air every "now-and-again." I am HH the whale. Hopefully, swallowing all the Jonah's (irrational religionists) that come along. Not much of a meal. We each have our crusades. ;)

Angie and I are watching "Bible Camp" on A&E. The parody of scientific conclusions that they present is fucking ridiculous (and sad). "Do you think we came from ooze?" is a quote from a representative of this sect. Show me the scientist who asserts such a notion.

Some draw false parallels. They just don't work. "How" scientific outcomes should be used, is a different question as to "whether science ought be be used?" My whole point in part of our discussion. (Shane and Ron... go to town).

No matter what was discussed, it was just great to have a discussion with such a brilliant group. I laughed, pondered, and was sad throughout. The poor waitress was wonderful. How people could sit there and chat for 5 hours would stagger most. That we could have chatted for longer is kind of self-satisfying.

After today, I am convinced that voting in the election is ridiculous. Changing society (as a whole) is futile and, savoring the wonder, and awe, of the living experience is the only thing that matters.

Some folks, of my professional ilk, would say that, "how you live today may make every yesterday a dream and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

I hope.

HH =)

8 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

Would love to see Angie BUT I have to be ass on this: in my view all participants must do some blogging, must be familiar with and share some of their own views. This is what's unique and refreshing about the EXMO (or EX other belief system) EXPO. (I'm wondering how many drinks you had in you before you came up with EXMO EXPO).

I will refrain from further rants about how do take science over religion yet must (almost hate to but must) see science as a discourse too with *some* similarities and motivations akin to religion...must shut up as this is close to a rant.

You nail it: "savoring the wonder, and awe, of the living experience is the only thing that matters." That pretty much sums up my insights into life over the last couple of years. And, being New Year's day, that's my resolution: more wonder, less work; more savoring, less worrying; more living my life as a means to wonder, less living it as the means to merely more knowledge, money, and stuff.

Counterintuitive said...

p.s. summer get together is good idea. We should drive out to Denver to see the anarchist.

shane said...

Have to disagree with you about the waitress (and several other things, of course). In Europe she would've been fired for trying to hurry us. And it isn't like they needed the table, either.

And I agree with Ron, as you know, that science and religion have similar motivations. The primary purpose of both is to control others--to dominate nature. Further, I think the two institutions need each other to rationalize their existence, much in the same way that "the man" requires rival minorities to deflect attention from its own abuses.

I'll give you this, though: given a choice between those two masters, I'll take science any day.

I'm also with Ron in requiring the Blogger exmos to consist of bloggers (tell Ang to start blogging!). And, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of expansion. I like the intimacy of the group we have now (but adding Rod is a good idea). And I LOVE the idea of driving out to see the anarchist for our next get-together!

It was great catching up, amigo--even if you are a pain in the ass once in awhile (wink nod back at ya).

Rod said...

I will definitely plan to attend next year's get together. I am sorry I didn't manage to meet up with you guys this year, but Darci and I had a good trip nonetheless.

I am delighted to be invited to the 2008 EXMO EXPO. Hopefully I can keep you all entertained. I probably have a differing point of view on many topics. I think it will be fun.

Best wishes to all for a happy 2008!

Lisa said...

I would have loved to attend the EXMO EXPO, although I'm not an exmo. I'm ex lots of things, though. (You can all think of a few, non? Some of you perhaps more than others can identify the things I'm ex of.)

You could consider a road trip to New York... although it's probably much more likely that I'd undertake a road trip to Denver. Not that I've been invited, and I know you want to keep things on the intimate side; however, my summer is getting quickly booked up, so if you're planning something, let me know and I'll try to attend (if, you know, I can, and all, being a non exmo and only ex lots of other things, etc.).

Let me know early and I'll start reading up so I am able to keep up with all y'all and I'm not forced to get drunk and fall asleep on the table.

spontaneous expressions said...

here here!!! (joining in a bit late.) It was fun to get together in the "real world." Thanks for a the brunch and a great conversation. I have more to say about my reactions but I think I'll blog about it soon. 2008 is shaping up to be a busy and distracting year. (I'm distracted from doing all my important stuff, like blogging and commenting on other's blogs)

Thanks again for the great time. The waitress was a bit up-tight. Lets GO to Europe next time! But I'm up for the next semiannual or annual "blogging convention" where ever it is. Lets figure out when and where!

(and for the record..I like Lisa's idea of including the idea of "ex's" in general.If Shane joins that Lakota's he could be the ex-patriot.)

HH said...

Thanks for chiming in all! Let's keep bloggering (is that a word) and get together IRL when we can.

Ron, your statement, "...hat's my resolution: more wonder, less work; more savoring, less worrying; more living my life as a means to wonder, less living it as the means to merely more knowledge, money, and stuff." --gets a huge AMEN from me!

Shane,
I read your most recent blog post and I need about a week to absorb, another week to draft a response, another week to edit and rewrite, and it should be on there soon. Geez... you provide so much to ponder in one post, may I suggest you pick one thought per post... my headache is coming back.

Rod,
Glad to hear it! You are invited (and Angie is not... she thinks I am becoming social.. ha ha).

Lisa,
No doubt! You do need to meet us in Denver this summer. We will talk about a NY trip later.

SE,
Hurry up and blog about our get-together. I am very interested on your take.

IN the end, we are all "Ex'S" of something. Whatever you call it... when cognitively mature folks gather who can articulate their thoughts, it rocks!

Good night my friends,

HH =)

Lisa said...

Denver, here I come! If it's this summer, I can try to come out. I know it's early, but I already know my schedule pretty well. Second half of June doesn't work for me, and July 20 and most if not all of August (casting a wide net, but this is wedding and honeymoon time) doesn't work for me. :) Maybe Labor Day weekend!!?

To be realistic, though, for a second, my vacation days are going to be few and far between this year, so any time might be a stretch.