Friday, December 21, 2007

Sad politics and the lack of outrage...

I just read this: "This definitive result of the 110th Congress will confirm the popular feeling that George W. Bush believes in his disaster more than the Democrats believe in anything." - David Bromwich, 12.20.2007. How Effing true is that?! What a bunch of cowards and traitors.

As I research the candidates, and attempt to keep abreast of the political situations we face, it is all I can do to keep my damned lunch down. What the hell is wrong with America? Between MItt ROmney's blatant falshoods (my daddy marched with Reverand King), Huckabee's running for president or evangilcal "pope" (nice phony christmas advertisment you close-minded twit), Barack Obama's uplifting speeches, but pure lack of substance, and Hillary's ever changing opinions, I just want to take a hammer to my head and hit until it somehow may make sense.

IN my America: Fascism is on the assent... Indifference is the norm... Ignorance pervades the citizenal bourgeoisies... And, greed/materialism is at the heart of reinforceing it all! Isn't this the scenario, throughout recorded history, that has preceded the downfall of every great society? Where the hell is my fiddle??? Got it. Now, to just sit back and wait for the flames.

The candidates depress the hell out of me. What a clump of fake "Jesus lovin'", corporate owned, hacks. I am defiantly writing-in a candidate when I vote next November. But whom should I write in? I have plenty of time to think that one through.

I passed a relative this morning. She smiled wryly and said, "Have a Merry Christmas HH(she used my real name)." I smiled back, and said it back. She looked puzzled and stated that she understood that I didn't celebrate Christmas. The Tree in my living room, the major deficit in my bank account, the carols playing on my computer, the decorations on my front porch, and my "Merry Christmas" greetings would seem to contradict that assertion.

Rod wrote a great post on the origins of "Mithramas." You ought read it if you have access. Boy's spot-on! Christmas has lost all moral significance. I know, many think morals are only possible with a picture of a German-looking Jesus portrait hanging on ones wall. But the cultural practice of celebrating our nobler traits has transmogrified into a bloodbath of selfishness, materialism, and shallow callousness. May Mithra forgive us.

The only problem I, personally, have with the holidays is all the socializing. Three family parties, dinner with my wife's high-school friend (and her husband), parties at work, neighbor gift exchanges, family christmas eve meals, family Christmas breakfast (BTW y'all are invited), christmas night dinner, etc. It all sets off my solitude alarm. Too much stimulation. Given my profession, I spend a great deal of time intimately with others at work. For me, a holiday should be a break from other people. Must go... carolers are at my office door. Must adapt... Sheesh...

3 comments:

shane said...

Which relative is this?

Yeah, I'm feeling a bit over-socialized myself lately. That's why I'm taking a little time for myself before heading to Utah. But once I get there, I'll be ready for some informal socializing over rum and nog (and I can set you straight about the Lakota ; )). See you soon!

spontaneous expressions said...

...that is the danger with thinking about stuff too much. Time to numb out HH! Time to adopt the complacent, "what difference does it make anyway we have no control pass the beernuts sugar" attitude. It doesn't necessarily make you feel better, it just makes you not feel.

What time is breakfast?

HH said...

Breakfast starts around 9:30 and goes until noon (or later if Shane is really deidcated to sleeping in).

""what difference does it make anyway we have no control pass the beernuts sugar" attitude."-- This is exactly what my wife says. The irony is that passive complicity, as Shane so eloquently states, is most of the problem.
Shane may be joining the Lakota (see his latest blogpost), and if our political situation continues its current stagnation Canada is looking saner and more appealing all the time.
A little "spiked" nog should do the trick for the numbing though. ;)

HH