Monday, May 07, 2007

Sometimes Happy kicks Right's butt.

Had a wonderful time at the in-laws yesterday. One BIL was outside working on his vehicle, while the other was inside chatting with family. I am often surprised by the sense of "bonding" I have when looking under the hood with a bunch of other guys. It just seems comfy. Perhaps it is a recollection of the times in my youth when my father and I spent real time together. I usually held the light while he used tools and swore like a sailor. It brings me a spot of joy recollecting it just now.

The other BIL and I had a quick chat about politics. He started it by inquiring about the Hannity-Rocky debate. Of which, I was not impressed. To call it a debate it is to spit at Roberts and his "rules of order." They talked past one another. Now this BIL is a die-hard republican and Hannity listener. We spoke about the republican candidates and the Dem. candidates as well. He was a tad irked at Rocky's assertion that Bush deserves impeachment. He stated that Bush gets more crap than he deserves. I, of course, am of the opinion that Bush deserves much more scrutiny and impeacment should be the mildest consequence he faces. "He is a war criminal," I stated.
"I am not going to talk about it. I get too angry, "BIL said. We agreed to disagree. We did touch further on politics later, but that was the only testy period we had.
Now, I think my BIL is one of the kindest, gentlest, most decent men I have had the good fortune of knowing. HE is a loving father, husband, and brother. His character is beyond reproach.
I found myself wanting desperately to appreciate his political point of view. Not agree with it... appreciate it. Cutting each other some slack certainly seems a more ethical and moral thing to do. It makes me wonder why we don't do it more often. It seems that emotions (especially political and religious) are very raw in the USA these days. But every now and again, the wiser of our instincts kicks in, and we try to be happy rather than right.
I was reading online and came upon a wonderful blog post. IT is here. Now I couldn't disagree with Jeff Lindsay more often regarding his contorted apologetics for his mormon faith. But every now again, he deserves a little respect (when he gives a little). Jeff if you read this, as an exmormon, I appreciate your desire for peace in that post. Here is a sample of it:

"Many who leave do not do so because the moral standards were too high or because someone snubbed them at Church or because tithing was too painful or they just got sick of home teaching or were victims of gossip or had a serious moral sin that they wouldn't quit. It is understandable, in fact, that people would get upset over polygamy or several other things in LDS history or even in the Bible that would lead them to reject the Church or organized religion in general. There are certainly powerful arguments to be made and often no simple answers."

It is behavior like this that gives me hope and replenishes my weary American spirit. We need to agree to disagree. I agree that I should stop blogging and get some work done. Disagree all you like, I respect that. *wink*

HH

2 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

It's difficult, at least for me, to balance compassion and understanding for individuals against the need to be heard.

I really like the quote from Jeff but I have to say many Mormons struggle to live by this. Of course it's not surprising and it's not unique to religion or Mormons: when we lump those who choose differently than us into stereotypical groups we are often protecting the rightness of our own choices and the integrity of our identities.

My ward has been good to me since I crossed over to the dark side, but they do not want to talk about it, they have no interest--other than possibly a gossipy titilating interest--in understanding why I am no longer a believer. Truly understanding that would potentially put their own faith into jeopardy.

HH said...

Truly understanding that would potentially put their own faith into jeopardy.---

That reflects my experience exactly. There are times when I am at a family gathering and just being in the room when my father, brothers, or sisters start to converse about religious stuff and they have turned to hushed tones in order to keep me from the conversation. Its not my disbelief that is the issue, but the tenuousness of their own faith that creates the change in behavior.

But, I generally do my best to abstain from entering the conversation for fear of endangering the relationship. Again ... choosing happiness over being right.

I remember being in your spot a bit back. At that time, the rumors flew, but the "true blue friends" actually asked the "why" questions and then agreed to disagree. Luckily I had Angie. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been if Angie had not already been a "doubter."

So, do you spend much time trying to justify your understanding with those who ask, or just let it lie??

HH