Thursday, May 24, 2007

Things certainly did pick-up at work. Last week I thought that I would slip quietly into a coma in my office and no one would find me until I cam up missing during summer break. I have been meeting, testing, working on crises, and having some good-old training (actually catching up with my colleague. We didn't attend much to the presentation).

Our Fence is almost complete. Half of the posts need to be "set" and then its: wait for cement to dry, put in rails and stiles, and then run around the back yard naked. Should be fun. My wife's new outdoor spa was also delivered last night. I was pleased with how pleased it made her.

As I look at our highly diminished checking account balance I whimper just a little. I am amazed at how much freaking money we have spent in the past 3 weeks. And it looks like we are going to need a new vehicle soon. I hate debt, and don't want any. We have paid for most things from savings, but we will have to tap the home-equity line to get a new vehicle. If I didn't have to take the kids to school I could just ride my bicycle. Darn kids *wink*.

I was reminded of the word "resilient" yesterday. It seems an incident involving a gun, a large black male, and a 10 year-old-boy grabbed my crisis list yesterday. I expected to find a child in fear. Instead I found a young man who had full understanding of what had happened and was completely adjusted to this strange circumstance. I spoke with the boys mother and was impressed with her insights and parenting abilities. This young man had gone through a very traumatic experience, debriefed with his mother, and then slept like a baby. He met me with a smile shining across his face. I asked the questions a psych asks, and watched his non-verbal behavior for any signs of stress/tension/anxiety. Nothing! The resiliency of this child was remarkable.

I often wish adults had the resiliency of children. I know plenty of parents who freak out at the smallest issues that arise. For example, a neighbor of this boy called the school superintendent at 6:00am to notify that this "tragedy" had happened. She kept her own children home from school (even though the incident happened at a park near her home, and nowhere near the school). Finally, she demanded that counselors and myself be available to help children cope with this incident. For the love of Pete! I want to shake some histrionic people until their empty little heads fall off sometimes. The boy who actually went through the trauma handled it better than an adult who had only heard of the incident!? WTF??!!

I had probably get more resilient towards a busy schedule I guess. But, I am adult... I have an excuse.

HH

1 comment:

shane said...

That's hilarious! I sometimes wonder if adults don't talk themselves into being afraid, just so they can feel half-way alive--to add some drama to their lives. Where's the panic over carconigens we put in our food or the toxicity of and/or radiation from the appliances we use? I suppose that's not quite cinematic enough to be taken seriously.