Saturday, April 21, 2007

The glass completely empty...

For the love of Pete! Would someone please have a chat with Mother Nature and get some warm freakin' weather here?! I LONG for a day out on my patio bbq'ing, reading a good book (okay finishing "A History of doubt"), sunning, chatting with my hunny, and watching the kids run around the yard as though they have overloaded on sugar.

The wife and I have been so busy at work, with kids, caring for the house, and other miscellaneous stuff that we have drifted apart a bit. Perhaps a nice weekend getaway is in order? It just seems that, as time wafts by, we spend less time focused on our "relationship" and more time on our roles as employees, parents, children, homeowners, etc. I was reading Ron's blog and he wrote about a trip to southern Utah. Just him and the wife. I just sounded so... peaceful.


A realization is appearing in my mind. Perhaps... just perhaps... I spend too much time defining my self as a non-theist. It seems that the only books I read are either pro or con on the whole god issue. I can't remember the last time I read a good book about something else. Am I becoming exhausted on the whole subject? Perhaps. I need a good, philosophical fiction read. I read "The incident of the Fingerpost" about 6 years ago. Nothing since. Any decent recommendations would be appreciated.

What is really wanted, is a little blessed indifference for a while. I want to yearn for nothing, dream of nothing, stress for nothing, have nothing emergent happen, just "be." Sound unrealistic? Probably is. I think its a yearning for simplicity. The life uncomplicated by desire.

Just a few more weeks and the Summer will be here. Good.

HH

6 comments:

shane said...

I can recommend some good anarchist texts. Or how about Moby Dick? Something by Edward Albee (a naturalist)? Shakespeare? Paul Auster's New York Trilogy?

But on the atheist theme, I thought you might like this:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/4/19/18451/0971
--an atheist professor's response to a comment that it was impossible to endure the immensity of a tragedy like the one at Virginia Tech without the comfort of religion.
Later amigo,
Shane

shane said...

Bach, Escher, Godel by Douglas Hofstadter.

HH said...

Thanks Shane! I will be taking those ideas to the library. It looks to be a beautiful weekend coming up (weatherwise).

Best,

Travis

Counterintuitive said...

I would suggest (and my suggestion is more good summer read, not philosophical) Plainsong a novel by Haruf--almost all dialogue, little if any overt philosophy, a very fast read, emotionally moving.

So how are you liking Doubt? I got to talk with her in a small group which you may have read about in my blog. A very optimistic atheist.

I'm looking to read Dawkin's last book but I haven't found a cheap copy yet. I too have read quite a bit of doubt/atheist stuff lately.

Counterintuitive said...

BTW the St George trip was wonderful in every kind of way. You guys should absolutely get away on your own. Very good for the relationship, very peaceful, an almost different, for me, kind of existence/"being"

HH said...

Fellas...

Many thanks for the suggestions. I am enjoying "doubt." Hecht has a very easy reading style. Her historical research must have been painstaking.

Glad to hear you had a great trip Ron. Angie and I are finishing up some yard care (fence and addition to patio) and then we are taking a break as soon as school is out.

I own Richard Dawkins latest book. I would love to share it with you. Just let me know how best to get it to you.

Thanks again for the reading suggestions. Summer is going to be good this year.

HH