Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Coffee, Satellite, bigotry, and off to work....

After moving back into the "city", we added directv. The sheer number of useless channels boggles mind. One could literally soar through 700 channels without finding anything of value to pass the time with. Kinda makes me wish I could just choose 12 channels or so and only pay for those. Alas, its not to be. Yet, as little as there is to watch at any time of day nor night, there is usually something worth watching too. The search is just a bit harder.

I tend to rise quite early in the morning. Usually I am up by 5:00am. I have a VERY consistent routine. I: rise, make coffee, turn on the TV, empty the bladder, pour my first cup, drink my first cup and skip through news channels until the weather comes on. I watch the weather on each channel possible in the following order: channel 4 (earliest weather), 2, 13, and lastly 5. The last three last about 15 seconds each because I gather the 7-day forecasts and then average them out.

After that I turn to Imus on MSNBC, pour my second cup and watch quietly so as not so wake my wife in the next room. Imus seems to be in a bit of trouble of late. Seems that he called the entire Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed ho's.' I find this amusing, but the rest of the news-world is sure this is earth-shattering news.

4/11/07 Update: The Imus show has just been cancelled on MSNBC. Consequences... consequences. I think it is too bad, but Imus must accept the consequences of his behavior.

4/12/07 Update: Imus has been fired by CBS as well. Also, no real blooming on my trees yet. Damned cold air!

The conservatives are saying his remarks were abhorrent, but forgivable. The Al Sharpton crowd wants blood and Imus' first born son. The liberals are just trying to call it evil and placate the infuriated black crowd. Imus went on Al Sharpton's radio show to apologize. He took quite the verbal beating.

The conservatives, on the other hand are screaming at Sharpton for not calling for the heads of gangsta rappers who say much more bigoted things with much greater frequency. It is hilarious to watch Glenn Beck pretend to be outraged at Al Sharpton's hypocrisy. "How would you feel if 50 cent was rapping about my daughter like that," said Beck. Who gives a crap?

Listen, people say plenty of stupid things! When they do it consistently it reflects poor character and ignorance. Thus, you STOP LISTENING to them. When a person says such things once in a while, it is clear that they are challenging their bigotry and attempting to censure themselves. A GOOD THING. When someone makes no bigoted remarks, that offend no one, then they have stopped breathing altogether and probably need mouth-to-mouth. Either way political correctness has GOT TO GO. Free Speech means tolerating speech disagreed with too. Who is going to be the arbiter of acceptable verbiage? See... once a line is drawn capriciously, it will be redrawn capriciously. The best boundary in speech is No boundary. The words "nigger, Kike, spic, cracker, whore, bitch, asshole", etc. neither pick my pocket nor break my leg.

After watching Imus until 6:15, I get into the shower, prep, wake the wife, ready the kids, make the bed, check my e-mail, and head off to work. Mornings were much simpler before with just the 4 channels available via the old antenna. In our old home I used to just watch the weather and do the crossword in the morning paper. Now that Imus is gone, the crossword is looking awfully attractive again.

HH

1 comment:

shane said...

I, too, am a little sick of this political correctness thing. I don't like what Imus said--and I don't like HIM, which is why I don't watch/listen to his show--but that doesn't mean he should get fired. This is exactly why the mainstream media is so bland in the first place--why we get a billion stations playing the exact same kinds of programs over and over--because nobody wants to risk losing money. What good does it do us to have constitutionally protected speech if exercising that privilege costs us our livelihood? Last year a colleague of mine was fired because she wrote bad things about the school in her blog. Isn't it bad enough that our places of work control what we say when we're at our workplaces (where we spend more time than anywhere else)? Apparently, they can also fire us for saying things in private.