Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Love this!

This is where we need to be... 30 years ago.




He is proof that the older generation (60+ yrs. old) isn't COMPLETELY stupid.

What is wrong in America? One simple word "greed." IT seems to me that, economically, the oil companies (big business in general) follow the "addiction" model. Get em addicted, and then they're dependent. Rip off the addict and make huge amounts of money. Time for some "oil" withdrawals and a "clean" lifestyle.

Three simple steps to a better life:
1. Reduce debt,
2. Simplify (less "stuff", more substance), and
3. Save (for the love of Nature put away 10% of income monthly).

I fixed my bike tires yesterday (damned flats). Guess who is getting into shape? Every mile I ride is one big "kiss-my-ass"a to the status quo. I am such a rebel. Feels pretty good. I'm even getting in shape. And... Good for me! =)

HH

3 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

I'm glad you will ride your bike but I don't have much hope; seems we need a huge cultural shift in how we view transportation, community developments, roads, mass transit etc. As evidence: when I walk places, people from my neighborhood stop and ask if I need a ride; they assume my car must be in the shop. Walking and using public transport has become equivalent with being poor and/or down and out.

shane said...

Because no corporation owns the sun yet!

That's the answer to the last question in the video.

Still, good on ya for the bike riding! And yes, on a purely personal level, ignoring the political, your 3 steps to a simple life offer some great advice.

spontaneous expressions said...

I thought humans owned everything. We are the posterity of Adam ya know. (and Eve too, but only by virtue of Adam's rib...)

I like the idea of using solar (or wind, or whatever resource that is renewable)...but whenever I see a brave crusader like this, I wish I could step past my pessimism. I think as we change what we do as individuals, that is a valiant effort, but it will take a lot more than altering our individual's lifestyle and transporation choices (something that Ron spoke to in his comment I think)....it seems like the issues need to be dealt with at a much more deeper and systemic level. There are so many larger polluters out there that I have a hard time thinking this man, as much as I admire him, is doing all that much by taking his measily drop out of the ocean of abuse.

Or perhaps...maybe this is just an excuse I hide behind so I can feel less obliged as I get in my car to drive two blocks to the grocery store to buy grapes that were flown in from Costa Rica in the dead of winter.