Saturday, March 10, 2007

Random thoughts from an IPOD induced buzz...


A recent post from Shane really made my ponder. The image above gives me chills, a genuine sensation of peace, and justs plain soothes my empirical soul. Does this come from some ineffable place hidden deep within the primal part of my amygdala? Is this a purely ethereal experience that I can but describe to you without any pretense of true empathy by you? Can "we" ever truly have understanding of common experiences? Does it really even matter?

My son is outside playing with a neighborhood friend. He and I are much alike. We seek solitude often. The wife and I have worried that his propensity for solitude may stifle his need to seek out time to engage and learn socialization. The wife points to me as a prime reason why he ought to get out more often. She may be on to something there.? However, he always befriends others who are more passive and allow him to dominate them. His current ami is a wonderful kid who is compassionate, socially skilled, and shy.

The market is beginning to worry me. I haven't been actively trading, but the two rather epic days in which the worldwide markets plunged 3 and 2 percent respectively are signaling something. Just wish I could say what that is. For the meantime, I am putting my money into very safe places, and will wait it out.

The weather is beginning to warm up. I downloaded a number of podcasts, (some from here) and have spent most of my day walking around the house/neighborhood listening and completing chores. The IPOD era really is working for me. I don't get bored very much. However, there are some who find my listening habits amusing.

My daughter has gymnastics practice 4 days a week (4.25 hours a session). I pick her up 2 times a week. I love to go and observe the last hour of her practice. As I watch, I have my ear-buds in, and my music/podcast going. I often stand as far from the other parents as possible. This has lead many to remark that I do this just to avoid conversation. They couldn't be more half-right. However, every person who makes this remark sees no contradiction in interrupting my listening/observation to chat with me. If this were my intent don't you think they would get the hint and not talk to me? Yet, it never fails. I spend the rest of my time listening to their issues (most are aware of my profession). Any suggestions about how to politely let them know to Fuck-off would be appreciated. ;). So, can they understand how this truly makes me feel? The Evidence suggests they just don't give a poop.

Hap

4 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

"soothes my empirical soul": I love that line. My take is that it really doesn't matter and no we can't. That is if compassion and amazement come (as I'm sure they do) from some evolutionary hard-wired trait the results are the same. I will take empathy and caring from anywhere I can. And no we can't every really truly understand anyone, not even ourselves but pretending is nice. It's not that much different than the stories we read, watch, and interpret.

shane said...

That is a great picture.

I don't think we can ever really understand another person via the methods we presently use to understand each other. But, perhaps, we can RELATE to each other in a genuine way--if we ever strip off all the lies and give in to and welcome the loneliness.

Happy Saint Paddy's Day, amigo!

HH said...

Happy St. Patty's to you both. It really is too bad that we can't, for a time, step into another's skin and ride thier life for a bit. You are correct, a subjective emptathy is the best we can ever do.

I like the idea of accepting the lonliness. But I would change lonliness to existential solitude. I rarely fell "lonley." Perhaps it is because I enjoy being with myself so much. I am constantly amused at everything around me, as if it were here just for my pleasure and amusement. I need to check my ego.

HH (Travis)

shane said...

you're right. "solitude" is a much better word.