Sunday, December 11, 2005

Fatherly Pride..

It's Sunday morning and I am the first one up. Only the sound of my keyboard tapping break the silence. I am still bloated with pride over yesterday's events.

My daughter had her first Gymnastics meet of the season. You see, she is a "level 7" competitor. There are 7 levels of competitive amateur gymnastics (levels 4 through 10). At this particular level they begin to create choreographed floor exercise routines, perform rather difficult beam exercises, do incredible things on the uneven bars, and vaults... Well, they get hard at level 8. Back to my bragging...

My daughter received the highest overall score for the entire meet! There were 8 teams represented at the meet. It included levels 7, 8, 9, and 10 (Elite). Wow! I watched my daughter perform maneuvers with such grace, strength, and poise that I was stunned. My 11-year-old baby girl was amazing. I was awe-struck to put it mildly. There is also, just a little guilt...

Now, normally I refrain from entertaining feelings of guilt. Such a waste of time. I would rather just change my behavior and leave out the emotional deteriation/dilapidation. However, it might be justly earned to allow myself a bit of extra punishment in the circumstance. It seems that I am often pointing out to my sweet child that her gymnastics lessons (4 times a week, four hours per time) are quite costly with respect to time and money. When she is (as pre-pubescent children often are) hesitant to try a new "move"; or having a hard time staying on task during training; I often hoist up these self-serving canards. She, of course, is racked with guilt for a time, and re-doubles her efforts.

After seeing her do what she did, it is quite clear that the investment of time and money has paid huge dividends. Not to mention the wonderful sportsman... er... sportsperson she is. Her attitude of supportiveness; the incredible friendships she has created; and her amazing humility would, themselves, be worth millions of dollars to me. So... shame on me. I think I'll stop writing, go upstairs, and give my just-awake daughter the good praising she deserves.

I'll be better about this from now on... Just watch!

2 comments:

shane said...

Gooooo Katie!!!! Her uncle's pretty proud, too.

Lisa said...

So's her uncle's friend Lisa who remembers your family with fondness.