Saturday, August 15, 2009

Look out... Militant Atheists on the prowl.




Too true. There have been a number of screeds, of late, stating that the "new atheists" are harsh, militant, even "violent." Yes, we dare say that religion is a bunch of ridiculous nonsense which has no scientific, rational, or factual basis; and THIS is militancy? I wonder what a society made up of the philosophies of the likes of atheists such as: Bertrand Russell, Thomas Jefferson, PZ Meyers, Dan Dennett, Gora, Gandhi, Spinoza, Sam Harris, Shane, Ron, and Shelly would look like. I am sure that such a politic would surely invade other nations "preemptively", put believers to death, ignore treaty's, pollute the environment, preserve ignorance while ignoring modernity, support drug cartels just to say drugs are illegal, etc.

As far as I can tell "militant" atheism in practice is only arguing fervently for your beliefs. Would it be nice if other "isms" would take such a militant course.

HH =)

4 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

Great cartoon--atheists certainly are very dangerous. Seems ideas are feared much more than guns.

SH said...

Where is this guy's doobie? Cannibus, like skateboarding, is certainly feared as much as atheism, but those in the know know that it is just as enlightening and as harmless. But I digress. Why is the term, "militant" used with atheism, but not so much with proselytizing Christianity? Maybe we should have a hymn that goes a little like this....Onward Atheistic soldiers, marching as to war...with the cross of Nietzsche going on before?"

Na. I'd rather not. I don't like ism's of any sort. I am as much atheistic as I am Christian, and I'd say I'm neither. It just doesn't matter to me anymore, to know, or not know, or believe or not believe once I decided that I wouldn't live my life any differently in or out of faith in God or Zog or dimensions or strings. It's interesting to ruminate on this perhaps, but when it comes down to my choices day in and day out, it doesn't make any difference.

C. L. Hanson said...

Great cartoon -- so true!

HH said...

Hi Chanson! Looks like Sunstone was good. How's the wayfaring brother of yours??

Best Wishes from USAkistan,

HH =)