Saturday, August 25, 2007

Wife's laughter, and the kindness of others...


The school year started with a rush. There has been little time to just sit in my office and respond to e-mails, complete testing protocols, read up on research, or return phone calls (which reminds me I have to call a parent)...

Got it covered now...

My wonderful wife ran a half-marathon this morning. That is her on the left (above picture). She averaged 8.5 minute miles. She ranked 10th in her age division (30-40). The most difficult part for her was rising at 5:00am to get there on time. She was bit nervous and arose at 4:45. OF course she had been lying awake next to me for, at least, two hours before that. Thought maybe that the lack of sleep would negatively effect her run. It didn't. Next year she plans to run the full "Top of Utah" marathon. Go WIFE! I married a jock.

MY wife's 20-year reunion has been sneaking up on her. One of her old classmates made a website for fellow alum to post a little biography and pictures. She reads it every day. She will never post to it, nor will she attend the reunion. But she is a bit of a voyer. Just yesterday I walked into our bedroom. There she was with the laptop on her lap. She began to snicker... then chuckle... then outright howl with laughter. "(Happy) come here and listen to this one," she said.

I know more about her high school classmates than I ever wished to. As she reads the posts, she reports regretting not getting to know more people in school. Ignoring isn't so bad. The alternative is to be a dick to some.

I was taught early that treating others with respect and friendship (especially the "weird" people) usually pays off in the long run. There have been times when the wife and I have been out in public and someone VERY colorful, that I knew in High School (or didn't know for that matter) has walked up and start chatting with me. "You were strange in high school weren't you hon," she has said. Some people don't change much.

An old friend works in a local Sprawlmart store. I shop early on Saturday mornings and was surprised to see him one morning about 2 years ago. In Jr. High, and High school this friend was the class whipping boy. Some of my fellow classmates were downright cruel to him. When he saw me he smiled, ran up, and gave me a hug. I hadn't seen him in 20 years at that point. Frankly I was delighted to see that he functioned in society. Some people who take such abuse don't recover. He was recently divorced, and his mother died as well. The resilience of some people just amazes me. Anyway, there was a tinge of pride knowing that I had never belittled him or fell into the peer pressure trap of abusing this decent person. Now the alcohol addicted friend from college is a whole different story. Let's just say I wasn't much of a help to him...

The wife was howling while reading a relatives bio that had been posted. Thought you could get away with not getting involved eh?? Sucker.

HH =)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! Nice one. I once tried to run with her, and I didn't do all that well... and I was about 5 years younger and in much better shape at the time. I never claimed to be a good runner, though... I never claimed to be a runner at all, come to think of it. I used to skate and I couldn't even run then. Good times. Eesh. Anyway, nice! And I like the picture; she looks very happy.

Counterintuitive said...

Go Angie! I didn't know she was training for a marathon.

Tell her I think she should post and then come to the reunion; I'd love to see you guys and I'm nervous I won't have anyone to talk to and I never see you guys. Also, tell her she owes me. That is I figure a big reason I don't know that many in my class is that I spent a lot of time hanging out with her and my younger girlfriend.

Funny to see you discussing this, as I recently posted on my blog about posting on the hs website. I'm such a dork.

shane said...

i remember wondering why everyone felt so sad at h.s. graduation--and i still don't get it. i don't have any nostalgia for those times, interest in learning about my former classmates, desire to attend any reunions.... maybe i'd feel differently if i still lived in utah, but i doubt it; i just think my h.s. experience was more worthless than most--not worth remembering.
at the same time, i'm now realizing, as a middle aged man, that the stupid ass h.s. kid is still in me--a little less brain dead and less predictable, i hope, but still here.

Lisa said...

I just posted on Ron's site about my high school experience.

Speaking of blogs, Shane, Travis - where are your new posts? (Hey, pot, this is the kettle speaking, I know, I know...)

HH said...

Smartass ;) HOw dare you point out our hypocrisy. :P

Trav