Friday, April 11, 2008

Are you supposed to watch or look away??

As I stand alongside the curb something quickly glints the corner of my eye. My head turns, and my hair hackles. Something has put my mind on high alert. Looking down the street I spot a neighbor crossing the road chat with her spouse, who is standing amidst the driveway of their home. What she was doing across the street? I couldn't guess.

As she b-lines towards home, her attention is focused on her goal. She misses the car traveling towards her at 40mph, just in her blind-spot to the right. A cry from me could not travel fast enough to save her from the impact. Nervous pain surges down my legs and my muscles tense as my mind registers what is going to happen. Complete helplessness.

Then, the most absurd thought hits. "Do I watch her get hit? Or, do I squint my eyes, and avoid the terror I am about to witness?"

This was not a true happenstance. More of a metaphor really. When someone, you care for, is about to be hit emotionally by the proverbial speeding car, and you are helpless to effect safety, or abate the pain that is going to hit... what does one do? Its kind of like watching another guy get kicked square in the nuts. I cringe and cry in pain every time... yet, I always watch. But this is different. Someone's life is going change.

I guess I'd watch to the final split second, and then strain to shut my eyes as the sounds of the impact pierce the air. Sheer terror.

Some go through pain while others can only watch, listen, and cover our allegorical crotches. For you in pain... my crotch is covered, I am bent over, and moaning in pain for you. Helpless.. God, I hope the car swerves or the foot misses its mark. Doesn't look good... *closes eyes* *covers ears*

HH =)

4 comments:

Darkly_Dreaming said...

what the deuce is this in reference to?

HH said...

We talked about this so you get no further comments until you do two things:

1. Write a new post to your blog,

2. Demonstrate comprehension by showing empathy to, at least, one other human being before you turn 20.

Love,
Dad

Darkly_Dreaming said...

War. This has nothing to do with my question.

HH said...

Reference is to another's pain and how to be helpless about it. When your friend died in the skiing accident what could you do? How could you watch your friends who were really close to her just suffer? What actions could you have taken to soften the impact? Nothing. This is what it is about. Suffering.

Dad