Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rush - "Faithless"




Neal Pert is the greatest drummer of ALL TIME! This has officially become my favorite Rush song (okay... Red Barchetta still makes my motor roll).

Exmo-expo III is taking shape. Lisa, if you can jet out to Utah I am inviting you too.

Recently I found out that people get rather miffed when you point out the particular fallacies of their arguments, rather than providing an alternative theory. My wife doesn't enjoy arguing with me about trite issues. She rather, prefers Shane's form of discussion and perspective expression. I need to work on my verbal rhetorical skills I guess. We tend to get heated of late. I am thinking of adopting Ben Franklin's approach. If some historical portrayals are accurate he was maddeningly tolerant and indecisive. Kind of a stoic approach to problems (truth is an illusion so why get all bothered about it).

Perhaps the real difference is that I pursue doubt first. Others are looking for the best position given pragmatism and a dash of reason thrown in for good measure??

There has been some stirring in my extended family related to Mormonism. Three siblings have expressed doubt to me about the veracity of the LDS church in the last week. One of them I would NEVER have expected doubt from. My responses to all three were the same. None. I desperately wish to believe they are on paths away from the cult, but that flickering hope has been doused too many times before.

It is SNOWING right now. Rather heavily too. Nice to hunker down in my warm home and just let my thoughts drip from head to Blog. Just one more week of work, and then 2 weeks of sleeping in, overeating, and holiday chaos.

So, whether you believe in Jesus, Mithra, the cycles of the sun, Allah, Santa, etc...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

HH =)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

"I desperately wish to believe they are on paths away from the cult, but that flickering hope has been doused too many times before."

I'm right there with ya, buddy. I've had my dearest friends AND bishop tell me that they have serious, serious doubts concerning the truthfulness of the Church, but they stay because of the social network. Potlucks are darn fun, I agree.

I think every Mormon should read "In Sacred Loneliness," "Rough Stone Rolling," and "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View." All of those can be bought from Deseret. I don't think it's in poor taste to give those books as presents. Hopefully, they'll note the spin and acknowledge the sad origins and implications of Mormonism.

"Escape" is a great book that shows the ills of religion from an FLDS perspective. But if you really, truly want to help your loved ones realize that the LDS Church is false, encourage them to read the Book of Mormon.

My husband's friend considers Bruce R. McConkie the greatest anti-Mormon, so anything by him would be great too.

Best,

Shannon